Chapter 4: Hemway in Flames

Home Forums Tera’fir Chapter 4: Hemway in Flames

This topic contains 144 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jefaris 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 145 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1642

    Mormy
    Keymaster

    “The woman I saw was wearing purple,” the woman answered. “She had a large group with her and she was the one giving orders.”

    “I am Sara by the way, and this is my husband Gentry. He was hurt pretty bad when these creatures came into our house. We escaped and were trying to make it to the keep when this other group came upon us. We need to move quickly, there are many more.”

    “We thank you, we owe you our lives,” the man answered.

    • This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by  Mormy.
    #1644

    Fenella
    Participant
    • Character Name: Fenella Elspeth
    • Class: Druid
    • Race: Wood Elf
    • Background: Outlander

    “You must have been terrified to see such creatures inside your home.  It’s probably not safe to return yet”, Fenella says to Sara

    Looking to Gentry she says “The Keep, do you know if it has been overtaken or is it a safe place to go and seek shelter?  Are you still wanting to go there?”

    #1645

    Brother Sirocco
    Participant
    • Character Name: Brother Roc
    • Class: Monk
    • Race: Human
    • Background: Hermit

    “Your honesty will be weighed fairly in the afterlife,” Brother Roc commended the kobold he had interrogated, before jamming one of his short swords through its heart.  Enemies ransacking a town did not warrant quarter when none was offered in return.

    “Would that we met in better circumstances, Fenella,” he said to the druid, responding to her introduction.  “I fear we have no time for nice meals and chit chat though – the invasion of the town in ongoing.”  He looked about the street, checking to make sure more groups of marauding kobolds weren’t about to bear down on their little rescue party.

    “The keep will be the safest place for this family and others, if we are not cut off.  Let’s all of us head there immediately.  I can take the lead if the rest of you,” he indicated with his gaze the other capable members of Fenella and Miri’s group, “can shield the family on the sides and rear.  Sara and Gentry, keep your children close and stay within our protection.”

    “Ready?” he queried the group as a whole, and when they confirmed he set out at a cautious jog down one side of the street, eyes peeled for signs of further trouble.

    #1646

    Jefaris
    Participant
    • Character Name: Jefaris
    • Class: Wizard
    • Race: Human
    • Background: Noble / Merchant

    Jefaris had watched the interrogation and subsequent killing of the kobold in silence, noting the rather cold and pious nature of the exchange. Not that he valued the life of a kobold, of course. They were some of the most annoying creatures to be around, the constant gibbering, the faux bravado, and the rather odd habit of hoarding candles. Shrugging to himself, he turned his attention to more pressing matters. “If the keep is the safest place then let’s not stand here and talk about it. You seem to know the way, so we’ll follow you.”

    OOC: Sorry for the absence of late; a lot of different things going on for me lately.

    #1647

    Mirilandil
    Participant
    • Character Name: Mirilandil
    • Class: Ranger
    • Race: Half-Elf
    • Background: Outlander

    Miri nodded her acquiescence before swiftly moving to where she could guard the back.  Irema growled slightly, then moved back with her mistress, tail lashing at the sounds of the battle around them.  Before long, the group began to make its way to what she hoped would be a safer and more defensible place.

    #1648

    Mormy
    Keymaster

    The evening had finally given away to night leaving just a hint of twilight on the horizon. The orange glow from the flames on the distant buildings cast a flickering light upon the town as the group gathered to follow Brother Roc down the street towards the keep.

    They did not make it far when Brother Roc and Fenella spotted another group further down the street and just off to the left around the corner. This group was lead by four kobolds followed by three men dressed in dark leather armor and black capes with longswords held at their sides. Behind them was a dark robed figure carrying a staff that glowed with light that bathed the street in front of them.

    OOC – This time it is initiative time. You can make your own initiative rolls or I can make them for you.

    I will try to post 2 rounds at a time so let me know what your first 2 actions will be. I will change it to one round if something happens that I feel would likely make you chance your next action.

    Valan is not yet in bear form even though his icon shows he is. The other icons are for the man, woman, and there 3 children.

     

    #1649

    Fenella
    Participant
    • Character Name: Fenella Elspeth
    • Class: Druid
    • Race: Wood Elf
    • Background: Outlander

    OOC: Fenella rolls a 6 for initiative.

    IC: Fenella moves 35′ to towards the group coming at them.  She looks to see who is positioned where and ready for the encounter they are about to have.  She cast shileigh on her staff and says just loud enough for those who are standing close to her “this will be a bit harder than our first encounter, good luck and ‘may the force be with you'”.

    OOC: Couldn’t help it just watched Solo right before posting.  LOL

    If the oncoming group gets closer Fenella will cast Moonbeam.  If they keep some distance Fenella will cast Produce Flame and send it into the closest Kobold.   She will stand her ground at the 35 mark she walked to.

    Perception Check: Dose Fenella know what or who these caped people are or what they are capable of?  Or anyone in the group know?

    Second round the same as above if there is distance.  If they are in the immediate area Fenella will cast Acid Arrow.  But I really would like to save this if possible, I only want to use it if I am forced to. I would like to continue Moonbeam if it can be used.   Remember it will use 2 slots =(

    #1650

    Brother Sirocco
    Participant
    • Character Name: Brother Roc
    • Class: Monk
    • Race: Human
    • Background: Hermit

    As soon as the other hunting party was spotted, Brother Roc turned and hissed to the group behind him.  “Quickly, to the shelter of the home on our left!”  Then he sped as quietly and fleetly as he could up to the tree in the next lot, positioning himself behind the trunk so as to be hidden from the approaching enemies.

    There he waited for the opportune time to leap forth and into the fray.  He intended to engage the closest humans, whether they be the cloaked warriors or the mage; the kobolds he would leave for the others as easy pickings.

    OOC:

    Initiative roll = 16
    AC = 20

    Round 1 attacks = 18, 10
    Round 1 damage (if hit) = 7, 6

    Round 2 attacks = 16, 21
    Round 2 damage (if hit) = 6, 3

    Note – Round 2 rolls may not come into play if the “opportune” time to attack is actually the second round, where my first set of rolls would apply.  He’d like to surprise them a bit, but in any case would not let one of the others be the brunt of an assault rather than himself.  I’ll let the DM judge what makes sense in terms of when he makes his appearance.

    #1651

    Fenella
    Participant
    • Character Name: Fenella Elspeth
    • Class: Druid
    • Race: Wood Elf
    • Background: Outlander

    OOC: I will amend my moves.  I will go toward the house if that is what the others want to do.  A surprise attack may be in order.  But I will keep my actions the same.  Produce Flame or Moonbeam if it fits into the play.

    And again, I wish to make a perception check.

    #1652

    Mormy
    Keymaster

    There is a light coming from the tip of the staff that is held by the robed figure that appears to be magical which might tell you something. However that does not mean the staff is magical, it could be a Light cantrip cast on it.

    The robed figure and the other 3 in leather are wearing dark clothes but they are not solid black. They are dressed similarly but not matching so it does not look like any kind of uniform they are wearing and there is no visible insignia that would tell you who or what they are.

    Other than the kobolds they appear to be human.

    #1653

    Mormy
    Keymaster

    “Did you hear something?” one of the leather armored humans inquired as the group reached the corner of the street. The man squinted down the street towards the companions as they moved to duck between the two houses.

    “You! Go check it out!” the robed figure ordered as he jestured to the kobolds to head down the street.

    “What was it?” the robed figure asked.

    “I don’t know. It was probably nothing,” the leather armored man answered.

    “In that house?” the robed man asked again.

    “No. I don’t know. Maybe.”

    “Search the house!” the robe man ordered. The kobolds obeyed and failed to notice Brother Roc hiding behind the tree as the they advanced down the street in front of the house. The four humans followed some distance behind them and approached the tree where Brother Roc lay in ambush.

    The wood floor of the porch creaked ominously as one of the kobolds cautiously walked up the steps and looked through the window.

    Then one of the children sobbed in fear. The kobold’s ears perked up at the sound and turned towards the side of the house.

    “Peoples!” the creature hissed.

    “More townsfolk,” the robed man concluded as the group of human’s advanced closer.

    Brother Roc then leaped in for the attack, his swords slashing at the man before him. His first strike hit true and tore a deep gash in the man’s armor, but a quick side step allowed the man to avoid the monk’s second attack.

    The kobold’s turned away from the house and drew their gaze upon the monk, then quickly jumped into action to surround the monk on three sides. All four struck with their short swords but only one managed to strike a blow against the agile monk cutting a shallow slice across his arm.

    Miri stepped out of hiding and fired off an arrow that slew one of the creatures, then írima pounced on another of the creatures knocking it to the ground then sank her teeth into it’s chest.

    Fenella stepped out and dropped her moonbeam on the humans bathing them in a pale moonlight.

    With a feral growl Valan shifted into his cave bear form. 1100 pounds of fury in an 11 foot body lumbered toward’s the humans as he let out a bellowing roar.

    Jefaris momentarily stepped out of the shadow of the house and fired off a trio of magical bolts that struck another kobold dead before he ducked back into the shadows.

    Venali followed and sent a bolt of energy from his witch wand which struck Brother Roc’s target, then stepped back behind Jefaris.

    “Not townsfolk, unbelievers!” the robed figure shouted as he stepped back away from the moonbeam’s burning light. As he did so Brother Roc took the opportunity to strike again at the retreating figure. The monk’s short sword pierced the figure’s robes and drew blood as well as a pained grunt.

    The robed figure focused on Fenella and Mirilandil as he began to mutter the arcane words of power that would fuel his spell. From his outstretched hand flew a dozen or more shards of ice that struck them both with freezing daggers that bit through their armor.

    The remaining three human’s stepped out of the moonbeam but the spell had already done its damage. One stepped next to the tree to face off against Brother Roc with his longsword which the agile monk managed to deflect harmlessly. The other two moved to intercept Valan. Both landed skilled blows against the massive bear and left his fur bloodied as their longswords did their work.

    OOC – Okay I am just keeping it at one round this time since enough damage has been done to warrant a possible change of strategy.

     

     

    #1654

    Fenella
    Participant
    • Character Name: Fenella Elspeth
    • Class: Druid
    • Race: Wood Elf
    • Background: Outlander

    Fenella does not feel the family is safe with nobody standing between them and  the open space behind the house but her battle present in the front.  She will bring the Moonbeam forward to the two men closest to her without falling on Valan.

    Fenella then moves next to Jefaris so she can still ‘see’ the Moonbeam and still also see if anything is moving close to the back of the house.

    “Is everyone still holding on okay” she ask her companions

    “It looks as if I’rema is holding her own against those nasty little reptiles, she has proven to be a good kitty” Fenella says smiling at Miri as she moves.

     

    #1655

    Mirilandil
    Participant
    • Character Name: Mirilandil
    • Class: Ranger
    • Race: Half-Elf
    • Background: Outlander

    (ooc) Thanks Mormy, for taking care of things for me this week.  It’s been an awful week all around, and I am sorry I haven’t posted.  Sometimes life happens, and when it does, it can really suck.  That sums up this week.

    (ic) Miri felt the pain, realizing that Fenella too, was affected.  She gave her comrade a quick glance.

    “Are you ok?” she queried, before sighting down the caster who stood furthest back.  Her eyes slitted dangerously as she drew back the bow, then let the string twang…

    Attack, I’rema!  Finish them!

    • This reply was modified 10 months ago by  Mirilandil.
    #1657

    Mormy
    Keymaster

    “Fall back, we need reinforcements!” the robed figure shouted.

    Brother Roc’s short swords continued to dance and both blades found flesh under the man’s leather armor.

    The kobolds needed no command as they already had it in their mind to flee after seeing two of their numbers dead. Both turned to flee but as írima turned its back on her she raked it with her claws leaving the kobold dead. The last kobold went in full retreat towards the south and around the corner of another house.

    Mirilandil fired her arrow at the robed figure but he managed to duck just in time as the arrow flew just over his shoulder. He was not able to dodge írima as the panther pounced on top of him and sank her sharp claws into his chest and knocking him flat on the ground.

    Fenella moved her moonbeam to target Valan’s two targets and then moved to the safety of the alley way.

    Valan’s massive claws raked into the dark figure before him tearing through his leather armor to leave a nice red wound.

    Jefaris and Venali both popped out of their cover behind the house ready with spells of their own but it was then that a dark shadow passed over the ground and a dreadful fear overcame them. The dragon had returned and it filled those below with such a sense of overwhelming dread and hopelessness as to render them paralyzed with fear.

    The dragon swooped in low towards the keep and sent out a streak of lightning towards the keeps battlements with a bright white flash of light. Most of the keeps dozen or more defenders that could be seen during the brief flash ducked behind the protective stone ramparts and remained unharmed, but there was one man who stood frozen in fear and ignited in flames as the energy of the dragon’s breath passed through him.

    Then the dragon was gone, rising back up high into the sky and well out of range of the feeble arrows that followed in its wake. The only sign that the dragon remained was the winking of the stars as the dragon flew by underneath.

    With the dragon’s passing Brother Roc, Mirilandil and Fenella managed to shrug off the effects of the frightful presence but Valan, Jefaris, and Venali stood frozen in place.

    Brother Roc’s target took advantage of his temporary distraction and retreated next to the robed figure and helped him to his feet while the other two pulled back away from Valan to deal with the panther. írima quickly dodged the first attack but the second attacker landed a heavy blow across her neck and shoulder with the blade of his longsword.

    As the robed figure was helped to his feet and began to limp away he turned back and sent another shower of icy shards this time centered on Jefaris. Shards of ice ripped through the wizard’s robes and left him barely conscious. Venali too was left torn nearly to shreds as icy shards tore into his body. Miri, whom had managed to overcome the dragon induced fear managed to dodge some of the damage but even she was pelted with icy shards that left her badly wounded.

     

    #1658

    Mormy
    Keymaster

    Further down the street on the left side of the map (which would actually be North) you can see a smaller group of kobolds. They appear to be carrying out stuff from the house. They notice the group and the battle and stop to watch but they do not seem very interested in joining in.

    Even further towards the North (left on the map) there can barely be made out even more figures, a few are carrying torches. The humans can be seen directing the kobolds in looting the houses and gathering any valuables in the center of the group of houses.

    Glimpses of other groups can be seen further to the West (bottom of the map) but not much can be made out.

    The keep (number 1 on the map) is on a pretty steep hill so it can be seen over the tops of the more distant houses. Even with the dragon attacks it appears to be mostly undamaged.

    You can continue attacking if you like but it looks like the robed figure and the other 3 with him are more interested in fleeing. They may turn and fight if they are pressed and the battle will continue, or you can choose to flee yourselves and try to make it to the keep before drawing the attention of one of the larger groups.

     

    • This reply was modified 10 months ago by  Mormy.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 145 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.