Chapter 4: Hemway in Flames

Home Forums Tera’fir Chapter 4: Hemway in Flames

This topic contains 144 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jefaris 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 145 total)
  • Author

Fenella
    Participant
    • Character Name: Fenella Elspeth
    • Class: Druid
    • Race: Wood Elf
    • Background: Outlander

Fenella once again looks from the side of the house to move her Moonbeam further down to the two humans.  She senses that they have taken enough damage that they could possibly receive enough to take them down if her, Miri’s, Valan’s and Roc’s weapons hit just right.

She feels confident that one more time instead of fleeing is not being over confident but optimistic for the group.

“We can’t take them all Roc but we can stop these two, one more time then yes we move up toward the Inn”.  She says just loud enough for the Monk to hear.

Fenella yells to Jefaris and Venali they should start moving toward the back of the house with the family so they can cut across the backyard instead of going down the road to get to the Keep at the top of the hill.  Fenella does not wait for an answer, it is not needed.  She will know by their movement or lack of  weather or not they are un-feared and can move at all.

She moves thirtyfive feet toward the back of the house to gain a better perspective of the Keep and plot their way as best as she can from this vantage point.

Waiting for the others she says to the family “We have far to go, however you are fortunate that you have my friends to help you.  We will do all we can to help get you there safe.  You can feel a little less afraid my little friends, you are not alone now, we are here for your whole family” Fenella continued looking at the 3 children.

She then considers the distance from where she stands to the Keep, using the rooftop and tree between to help.  She waits for the others to suggest to them the path she thinks may be in their best interest.

Brother Sirocco
    Participant
    • Character Name: Brother Roc
    • Class: Monk
    • Race: Human
    • Background: Hermit

Despite Fenella’s urgings Brother Roc did not pursue the retreating raiders.  Instead he moved back to the main body of the group and motioned them behind the house where they would be hidden from passing eyes, at least for the moment.

“I saw at least two other groups of raiders.  We cannot fight our way through and succeed.  We need to skirt around and try to slip past them and up to the keep.  If we go this way,” he motioned to the west, where a couple of buildings would provide cover, “and then turn north we would have a straight run up the hill to the keep.  Then we can circle the wall until we find a postern gate or other entrance.”

The monk looked around at the young family and the rest of the impromptu defenders.  Many were injured like he, some much more seriously.  “Can you all move?  Are you ready?”

OOC:

My thought is to head west (down) on the map past the two houses and then north (left) straight to the keep.  We can zig-zag more through the houses if it becomes necessary, to avoid larger groups.  If it’s just 2-3 kobolds then I’ll just kill them to keep from slowing down too much.

Sound good?

Mormy
    Keymaster

Fenella’s Moonbeam finishes off one of the raiders leaving him dead in the street. The other, badly wounded, runs to keep up with his fleeing companions leaving their dead behind as they flee down the street towards the North. The three kobold’s, witnessing what had happened, quickly leave their looted possessions outside the building and rush back inside before they could be conscripted to join a battle that they know would likely get them killed.

“We need back up! Quickly!” the robed figure shouted. Another one of the raiders and three kobolds from even further down the street at the next building over turned to look at the raiders fleeing towards them.

Meanwhile Valan and Jefaris managed to snap out of their dragon induced fear trance and quickly moved to follow Fenella and Roc’s lead. Venali, still stuck in his trance, needed to be physically shaken to break him from his stupor before he could follow the others.

As the group with the family in tow made their way West to the next street over they spotted the fleeing kobold that they had fought earlier rushing to join another group.

Between the trees and the buildings they could occasionally glimpse the wounded raiders still fleeing North as the group raced towards the keep before the raiders could gather reinforcements.

The companions were already halfway to the keep by the time the fleeing raiders reached the first small group but they continued fleeing past that group to the larger clearing where even more raiders lay waiting. By the time they made it however the companions were already at the base of the keep.

The companions could see guards on the battlements, alert and with crossbows drawn and aimed down upon them as they approached.

“Hold your fire, they are civilians! Open the gate!”

As the companions made their way around to the North side of the keep the gate was already being opened.

Further towards the North they spotted another large group of raiders roughly 130 feet away from the keep. One is a woman with dark hair dressed in a flowing purple cloak and purple armor. She was surrounded by a large entourage of raiders and kobolds.

“We need to stop them!” one of the robed raiders next to her shouted.

“Don’t be so foolish you idiot,” the purple lady snapped. “I have a better plan in mind for them,” she added with a fiendish smile.

By then the companions had made their way inside the keep and the gate closed shut behind them.

Mormy
    Keymaster

The purple lady

Mormy
    Keymaster

“Looks like you folks have been through hell,” one of the soldiers said as he approached the newcomers. “Go fetch the healer, we have wounded here.” The man called to one of the guards.

“My name is Sergeant Miles. We are a little short handed right now but we will see to your wounded, which looks like most of you. Let’s get you all inside before that damn dragon returns, and then maybe you can tell us what happened.” Sergeant miles said as he gestured towards the entrance to the main tower.

Mirilandil
    Participant
    • Character Name: Mirilandil
    • Class: Ranger
    • Race: Half-Elf

Miri jogged along with the rest, mindful to all that was going around her.  I’rema loped easily along beside her mistress, despite the bloodied fur that bespoke of battle.  Both were far from uninjured.

As the group neared the keep and were allowed admittance, Miri cast one last glance over her shoulder, eyes meeting that of the purple lady’s for a moment before she slipped into safety.

At the offer of healing, she smiled her acquiescence, a weary hand pushing a stray lock of hair from her forehead.

“You have our thanks,” she said sincerely.  “That dragon spooked us all.  I am afraid though, that we have little knowledge of what was going on.  We came here only to find things already burning and people fleeing.”  She stopped and raised a quizzical eyebrow to Brother Roc.  “Perhaps there are some of us that might have more knowledge…”

Brother Sirocco
    Participant

The monk was relieved to make the relative safety of the keep without further incident.  Many of them were wounded, himself included, and any prolonged battle would have seen them overcome by the enemy’s forces, he was sure.  The offer of a healer’s attention was welcome news indeed.

“I know something of the attackers and their organization,” Brother Roc announced as they made their way across the courtyard to the tower, responding to Miri’s curious glance.  “But not their specific plans for this raid.  Let us settle in with the healer and whatever leaders of the keep you see fit,” he suggested, including the sergeant with word and gesture, “and we can recount our journey to the keep with this beleaguered family.  And then I will tell you what I know of the Wyrmwoer.  Or more commonly, the Cult of the Dragon.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~

When they were seated as comfortably as possible given the surroundings and the sergeant and whomever he felt necessary to include were also present Brother Roc spoke, pausing only occasionally to allow a healer to minister some task or filter through the group’s field of vision.

“We saw evidence of  kobold and human marauders in the attacking force, some with command of magic.  These are common members of the Wyrmwoer.  They are a cult that venerates chromatic dragons, acting as their reptilian overlords’ spies and servants in return for promises of glory and power.  Their power has fluctuated over the decades and centuries, but recently they have emerged again, aggressive and organized.  A man named Rezmir is reportedly their leader, a mage of some accomplishment.  Hemway is not the first place they have ransacked, and their appetite appears to be growing.  That they have an actual dragon assisting here is proof enough of their ambition and capabilities.”

“Ultimately they seek to gain control of the lands on behalf of the dragons they venerate.  If left unchecked they will do just that, or cause great harm in the attempt. ”  The monk fell thoughtful at that point, as though reflecting on some inner memory or concern.  “I will stop them if I can.”

“I came to Hemway seeking some information on the cult and their recent activity.  I had reason to believe they might be active in the area.  But I did not expect to find this.  I did not think them this bold yet.”

Mormy
    Keymaster

“The Commander will want to hear this,” Sergeant Miles said as Brother Roc began his tale. The soldier lead the group into the keep’s Great Hall. It was a large room but it felt small with nearly every square foot covered with refugees from the town camped out on the floor. Dozens of people of all ages, men, women, and children crowded every space but for a tiny path down the center where the soldier walked to reach a set of stairs that circled up to the next floor.

The stairs lead to a wide hallway which was also crowded with folk sitting or laying down on blankets. The tour ended at another room at the end of the hall which the Sergeant opened after a brief knock. Inside was a large table surrounded by chairs. On the table was a crudely drawn map of the town with notes drawn over it marking various buildings.

Two men stood around the table; one dressed in chain mail in typical soldier attire, and a third dressed in fine cotton and silk like a rich dignitary.

“Governor, Commander,” the sergeant began with a nod to each man. “These people bear some news that I thought would be of interest to you. They fought there way to the keep and rescued these folk here. Plus they seem to have something to share about our attackers.”

Turning to Brother Roc, Sergeant Miles continued, “Please, if you would repeat what you told me. This is Governor Reevus who runs this town, and Commander Xeris who is in charge of the garrison. I will see to it these folk here are made comfortable and are tended to,” the Sergeant looked to the man and woman and the three children. “I will also send up a healer to look after you.”

When the sergeant left with the family it was only a few moments later when a soft tap on the door announced the arrival of the healer. He was dressed in simple gray linen robes with a steel chain around his neck. His mussy hair and baggy eyes spoke of his weariness and the long night of work that had only just begun. He set his satchel on an empty chair and pulled out a jar of salve and some bandages and quickly went to work starting with Jefaris and Venali.

Both men listened as Brother Roc repeated his tale and when he had finished it was Governor Reeves that spoke up first. “You said it was a man, Rezmir, that leads them, but we saw a woman who seems to be in charge. What do you know of her, and who is this Rezmir?”

Fenella
    Participant

Fenella followed the group as they moved through the Keep.  Taking in her surroundings as they walk she feels sympathy for all the displaced families they passed.  After all she knows what it is to taken from her home.

Finding an empty chair she sits her backpacks down next to it and then gets comfortable.

She reaches up and rubs her arm and the mark on it mindlessly as she thinks to herself a lot has happened since she woke up with it.

Brother Sirocco
    Participant

The monk thanked the healer when it was his turn, appreciating the soothing nature of the salve.  As the questions rained in from the commander and the governor Brother Roc remained calm, though he could provide little reassurance.

“Other than the name I know little of Rezmir.  He is a mage of some sort, and powerful enough to gather a force of kobolds and scoundrels to his cause.  I have heard he sometimes uses the title of ‘Aspet’ as well, though I am not sure how reliable that is.”

“The woman who appears to command this assault I have never seen before, nor do I know of her.  Perhaps she is under Rezmir’s command, or even a rival leader within the cult.”

He paused to take a small sip of water from an earthenware mug that had been offered.  “It seems strange to me that they assault Hemway so boldly.  Is there something special about this town that such a group would want?  Something beyond the normal rewards sacking a town provide?”

Fenella
    Participant

Fenella listened as she sat.  Suddenly she sat forward hands firmly on her knees and her attention was solely focused on every word Brother Roc said.  She no longer noticed the minor things surrounding her full focus was on the words he spoke and the mannerism he showed as he spoke.  She wondered just how much more he knew.

OOC: Fenella wants to do a perception check.

Mormy
    Keymaster

“I am sorry but that is all I can do for now,” the healer admitted as he packed away his satchel. “I have exhausted all of my healing prayers on the guardsmen and the citizens and only have these salves and bandages left. Perhaps in the morning I can do more.”

“Ah. There is something else that perhaps you or another could help me with,” Valan began. “Two days ago we were clearing out a cave full of orcs with a bugbear shaman leading them. They also happened to be cursed with lycanthropy. Werewolves. One of them bit me. Do you have any healing that can cure this affliction?”

“I am merely an acolyte and such healing is beyond my abilities, but my Bishop likely could. He is quite skilled in the healing arts,” the healer replied.

“Where can I find him?” Valan asked.

“Sadly he did not make it to the keep,” the healer answered. “He choose to remain behind at the Temple of Chauntea to deal with the wounded there that could not make it to the keep. They barricaded themselves inside. I don’t know if they still live,” the healer replied sadly.

“Werewolves you say? And a Bugbear?” Commander Xeris prodded.

“Yes, he called himself King Krug, he was a skilled shaman as well,” Valan replied.

“I know of this King Krug,” the Commander replied. “He was raiding small villages and homesteads here and up North until about a week ago. I lost a patrol of men trying to track him down.”

“He moved further South near the Halfway Inn and was raiding farms there until two days ago. He is dead now and his orcs wiped out,” Valan said.

“You did this? That was quite a feat,” Commander Xeris replied with a raised brow of respect. “I lost half a dozen good men to those beasts.”

“Well not me really, I was merely involved,” Valan answered modestly, “It is these fellows who took him out.”

“Then Hemway owes you a great debt in addition to the townsfolk you saved today,” Xeris replied. “You have proven to be quite formidable, it is no wonder these cultists were no match for you.”

“Yes quite formidable indeed,” Governor Reevus repeated. “Perhaps you could be of further assistance.”

The Governor turned his attention back to the crudely drawn map laying on the table. His finger hovering over one structure towards the North West corner. “There is enough grain stored here at the Mill House to last nearly six months. It is our entire winter supply. If these cultists…”

“As I have already said we can’t spare the man power,” the Commander interrupted what was obviously an ongoing debate between the two leaders. “If I split my forces in half in an attempt to protect the mill, then we would be short handed here. Besides we would only be drawing more attention on the mill if we send a large force to protect it, and if the dragon strikes all efforts would be useless. Or men are needed here.”

As the two men took a moment to stare at the map in silent contemplation Valan leaned over the table and took a long look. “Where on this map is this Temple of Chauntea?”

The Commander pointed to another spot on the South West corner of the map.

“Your men could use the tunnel, they would not need to draw attention to themselves,” the Governor suggested as he drew an imaginary line from the Keep to the river.

OOC – Everyone received 12 HP of healing. Brother Roc and Irema are at full health. Fenella is almost at full health, just a few HP away. Valan is also almost at full health. Miri, Jefaris, and Venali are just a little over half health.

A short rest only takes about an hour of non strenuous activity where you can then use hit dice to heal yourselves further. At level 4 you have 4 hit dice. You can roll your hit dice plus your con bonus to regain those hit points. 1d10 for Rangers, 1d8 for druids and monks. If you use 2 hit dice now then you can use 2 more later. If you use all 4 then you can’t use any more until it resets after a long rest of at least 8 hours.

Number 4 on the map is the mill
    Number 3 on the map is the Temple
    Number 1 on the map is the Keep
    Number 2 on the map is where the Governor pointed to when he suggested the use of the tunnel.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by  Mormy.

Brother Sirocco
    Participant

Brother Roc gleaned all he could from the conversation between Valan and the healer, and between the Governor and the Commander.  They were faced with some difficult choices, but with the images of suffering that had assaulted then as they’d passed through the first rooms of the keep the monk thought it clear where the first priority should be.

“I think bringing the Bishop and the remaining wounded here to the keep is the first thing to do.  You cannot protect them in the temple and given time they will surely fall to the marauders there.  The Bishop and any other healers there could also help with casualties here.”

He looked to the Commander, knowing the man was loath to split his remaining forces too thinly.  “Do you think you could spare a small contingent of soldiers to at least hold the tunnel entrance while we ferry people back from the temple along the river?  We can’t have the enemy walking in through the back door, after all.”

“I will volunteer to join the Bishop’s rescue attempt.”

Mirilandil
    Participant
    • Character Name: Mirilandil
    • Class: Ranger
    • Race: Half-Elf

“As will I,”  Miri responded, gaze meeting that of the monk’s and Fenella before she turned back to the military leaders.  “If we can be of help to others while also gaining help for one of our own, then that’s where I wish to be.”

(ooc) Lots of issues going on IRL with work, obligations, etc.  Forgive me once again for taking so long to post.

Fenella
    Participant

Sitting back into the chair and letting her hands drop from her knees Fenella tilted her head and nodded in agreeance with Roc and Miri.

Wondering when this will take place Fenella ask where she can sit for a short rest before they set out.

After a short but good rest Fenella readies herself for what is to come as best she can, not really knowing what to expect.

She finds herself lost in thought, “have I ever fought a Dragon before?  Surely I would remember such a feat”, she wonders to herself.

“Have any of you faced an adversary of this standing before?” Fenella addresses the group.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 145 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.