Chapter 4: Hemway in Flames

Home Forums Tera’fir Chapter 4: Hemway in Flames

This topic contains 144 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jefaris 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 145 total)
  • Author

Jefaris
    Participant
    • Character Name: Jefaris
    • Class: Wizard
    • Race: Human
    • Background: Noble / Merchant

Jefaris had remained in the background, quietly, making no gestures of a threatening nature. When the door opened he slide inside as quietly as possible, surveyed the layout of the structure as well as the occupants. Women and children, mostly, he noted. If there is to be fighting it will be on the group of unlikely rescuers. And the priests, he reminded himself. While he wasn’t a follower himself, he had seen too many people underestimate those of divine faith and pay for that action. This bishop likely held considerable power with his faith; hopefully that faith would see them through the darkness and into safety.

When the assault began, Jefaris smiled grimly to himself. He’d have liked a little more time to prepare but it seems since he had awoken time was working against them. Perhaps it was the brand, always drawing danger and adventure to this group. Or maybe it was just sheer luck, bad as it may be. In the end it did not mater, he mused, and with a shrug, made to carefully address the burning torches if possible. He would leave moving the injured to those stronger than he, mentally reviewing his spells to see which could be most helpful.

OOC: Jef will try to douse the torches or at least move them from any sort of flammable material if he deems it safe to do so.

Brother Sirocco
    Participant
    • Character Name: Brother Roc
    • Class: Monk
    • Background: Hermit

The monk’s shoulders hunched inward when the first thunderous boom of the battering ram sounded, and his head swung to the front doors of the temple with alarm.  It sounded like the raiders had tired of their little game and were now determined to break into the building.  While the bishop immediately began organizing the townsfolk’s exodus, Brother Roc turned to his companions and threw out some thoughts on how they could help.

“Fenella, you are best to guide the folk quickly through the hedge and forest.  Take this,” he handed over the key to the grate at the secret entrance to the keep, “and lead them back to safety.  Miri, your bow and the ranging of I’rema can cover the escape from any of the raiders that slink around the edges of the building.”

He next looked at Jefaris.  “Wizard, do you have some magic that can attack the cultists when they breach the door?  Something broad?” he asked, gesturing with his hands across the breadth of the front entrance.  “If so, I’d like you to stay and cast such a spell once the doors fail, and then flee with the rest.  If not, go with Fenella and Miri now and help cover the retreat.”

“That leaves you and me to hold them up long enough,” the monk said finally, a small smirk on his face as he meet Valan’s gaze.  “I have no wish to martyr either of us, but when we do flee we must head in a different direction or we will lead our pursuers directly to the escaping townsfolk.  I suggest we run southward across the churchyard and down along the river, away from town.  It will appear our courage has left us, and I suspect they will give up on us eventually.  Afterward we’ll try to make our way back to the keep again.”

The booming continued and then several torches arced through the broken windows.   Brother Roc looked to each, calm determination in his dark eyes.  “Go!  Be safe and save the townsfolk.  May the wind be at your backs.”  Then he rushed off with Jefaris to try and douse the firebrands, either smothering them or dunking them in the nearby buckets of water.

OOC:

Everyone is free to ignore my plan if you don’t like it.  I’m just envisioning a rushed moment spurred by the renewed attacks on the door and a quick huddle, where Brother Roc has (admittedly unbidden) taken on the mantle of quarterback.  In summary, get the people out with cover from Fenella, Miri and later Jefaris.  Valan and Roc will conduct a fighting retreat in an attempt to delay any pursuit for long enough to secure the safety of the townsfolk.

But if you don’t want to buttonhook at the hedge, feel free to run your own play!  😉

Fenella
    Participant
    • Character Name: Fenella Elspeth
    • Class: Druid
    • Race: Wood Elf
    • Background: Outlander

Quickly and gently as Fenella can she helps lift one of the badly injured onto a bench.   Looking for something to secure him she pulls a curtain off one of the windows that have not yet been burned.  Two of the robed men quickly lift the bench and disappear through the door into the hall.

Seeing that the other badly injured person was being attended to she moves to a couple of  people sitting on the floor.  Leaning down she says “quickly there is no time to waste I know you are in pain but there will be rest once we get you to the Keep”.  As she helps the wounded up and wraps her arm around their waist she offers her other hand to another less injured sitting right next to the first.

Seeing the flames explode in front of them gives the two a rush of adrenaline as they move through the doors and down the hall to the back door.

Fenella looks over her shoulder to see several people following them.   But in the darkness and confusion it’s hard to tell how many.  The few people in front of them are moving fairly quick.  She says to the two she is helping “good we are almost to the back, then it’s going to be a little tricky getting over the hedge but I think we can do it with a little help”.

Mormy
    Keymaster

“Aye, I will stay and aid you,” Valan agreed. “Let’s just hope they brought their B team.”

The torches were unable to spread across the wet floor, and with the aid of the water buckets and a few helpful hands they were quickly extinguished.

The sanctuary doors boomed under another beating as the wounded were lead out the back door.

“The Blessings of Chauntea be with you,” the Bishop said to the defenders who choose to hold the raiders at the door. He then turned to join the others in retreat out the back door.

Then a final boom sounded along with a loud splintering of wood as the door finally gave in and the raiders advanced. They were lead by a woman with long dark chestnut brown hair that fell just past her shoulders. Her chain mail armor was covered by a rich purple garb complete with a cowl around her neck and a purple cloak hanging off her shoulders. In her hands she wielded a long halberd; a long staff tipped with a battle-axe.

Two men followed behind her, one dressed in dark red robes that showed signs of heavy wear with an embroidered cowl that shadowed most of his face. Beside him was another man wearing a heavy breastplate with dark weather stained leather covering his arms and legs. In his hands was a long greatsword.

“Well well,” the Purple Lady said with a pleased smirk. “The Heroes of Hemway have come to greet us in person. Do you represent this rabble or do you come to join us? The Cause can use talent such as yours, and the pay would be far better than what this pathetic little town could muster.”

Three kobolds slowly slunk through the door and gathered at the back of the sanctuary. They looked nervous and kept a close eye on the door as if already planning their retreat.

“So much for the B team,” Valan muttered quietly to Brother Roc.

Mirilandil
    Participant
    • Character Name: Mirilandil
    • Class: Ranger
    • Race: Half-Elf

Miri crouched beside I’rema, a hand gently stroking her glossy fur.  A contended purr escaped the wild cat’s lips.

“Defend,”

Miri glanced behind her as the last of the refugees slipped out the door.  I’rema stood irresolute, tail twitching with indecision.  With an imperious swipe of her hand, Miri indicated the door again.  With a snarl, I’rema slunk close to the ground, then disappeared the way the refugees had gone.

Unslinging her bow, Miri turned to face the invaders.  She thought briefly of her family, feeling a sense of wonder that those she traveled with now were closer than her family would ever be.  She was willing to die to protect them.

Chin raised, the half elf felt a surge of purpose flow through her, a sense that her side was right and the other wrong.  Therefore it made sense that her side would reign victorious.

Right?

Fenella
    Participant

As the weight of the two people Fenella helped gradually became heavier she knew they were getting weaker with each step.  With as calming a voice as she could she said to them “we are closer than you think, if we rest we will lose valuable time and the others may catch up with us.  There is a gate just ahead and once we are through that we just have to climb up the tunnel to the Keep”.

She paused for a moment to look over her shoulder to make sure the others were following safely.  The two benches turned gurneys were still several feet ahead of her.  So far all looked well.  But she knew that could change at a moments notice.

Fenella
    Participant

Looking toward the river that they had followed Fenella could see the light from the Moon reflecting in the ripples.  It was a stark contrast to the mayhem that was on the other side of the treeline.  She wished she could sit and enjoy the peacefulness of the waters singsong like soft splashes of water on the banks.  And to meditate under the stars.

But the smell of smoke from the houses that burned and the sounds of the groups of marauders bringing destruction to the village far outweighed any desires she may have at that fleeting moment.  She knew there may never be a chance to meditate under the stars again if this mission failed.

“I think we are almost to the gate, it can’t be more than several yards now.  Once inside we can slow our pace a little.  I hope that the location of the gate has not been found, that would mean defeat before we even have had the chance to stand our ground”, Fenella said to the two injured people she helped.

Once again she looked behind her to see if it was still just the people rescued that trailed them.

Mormy
    Keymaster

As Fenella lead her charges towards the hidden grate a feeling that something was wrong invaded her senses. The grate loomed ahead yet no enemies lurked nearby. The guards. There were no guards. The three soldiers that Commander Xeris left at the gate entrance were nowhere to be seen, and yet there were no bodies and no sign of a struggle.

Then as if a veil had been lifted they appeared. They were laid out on the grass just in front of the grate as if in peaceful slumber, but it was the enormous wall of blue scales that stood just over the grate that commanded Fenella’s immediate attention.

Even with its head bowed and leaning forward it stood nearly 10 feet high and 12 feet long, with a long 12 foot tail that curled around the bodies of the soldiers in front of it. It’s wings, which would have stretched at least 40 feet from tip to tip were tucked close to the creature’s body as it sat with a relaxed pose.

A large yellowish bony horn protruded from it’s cobalt blue head. Thick yellow scales covered its chest, but the rest of it was covered in a leathery blue hide that stretched over its shoulders and legs.

The bishop that had stood next to Fenella dropped and fell to the ground, as did the acolytes and the refuges that were strung out in a line behind her.

“Don’t panic, they are merely sleeping,” came the deep gravely voice of the dragon. “I wanted our conversation to be private. I was expecting a larger audience but I guess your companions got tied up. No matter. I suppose you will do… Fenella.”

The dragon’s jaw shifted as it moved it’s tongue about in its mouth as if tasting Fenella’s name as the sound rolled across it’s tongue.

Mirilandil
    Participant
    • Character Name: Mirilandil
    • Class: Ranger
    • Race: Half-Elf

***“Well well,” the Purple Lady said with a pleased smirk. “The Heroes of Hemway have come to greet us in person. Do you represent this rabble or do you come to join us? The Cause can use talent such as yours, and the pay would be far better than what this pathetic little town could muster.”***

Miri measured the distance carefully, then with barely a perceptible movement, loosed an arrow to travel to the blood red robed man.  Perhaps that would be answer enough.

Meanwhile:

I’rema loped silently after the group of refugees, easily visualizing the terrain ahead.  As Fenella’s group stopped before the awful wyrm, I’rema slunk to Fenella’s side, a tail curling protectively around the druid.

Brother Sirocco
    Participant
    • Character Name: Brother Roc
    • Class: Monk
    • Background: Hermit

“Your cause is flawed, Purple Lady,” Brother Roc replied, trying to buy time for Jefaris to cast his spell, any spell.  That was the plan he had sketched out, but here he was and nothing yet from the mage.  “I cannot join you in your misbegotten quest for money and power.  Not with a cost such as this,” he waved a hand briefly to encompass the village of Hemway.

“Will you not reconsider your course?”

OOC:

Not sure how you would like to handle initiative and such, given Miri’s surprise attack.  Let me know and I’ll detail my next actions based on that.

Jefaris
    Participant
    • Character Name: Jefaris
    • Class: Wizard
    • Background: Noble / Merchant

Jefaris gave the group before him an appraising look. His first instinct was to bewitch the leader, hoping to cast a spell that would make this “Purple Lady” more receptive to conversation rather than confrontation. He dismissed this approach almost immediately. Even if he could charm the woman, he couldn’t hope to do so with the rest of her crew. He mentally ran through his list of prepared spells, trying to decide which would give them the best chance to make it out of this alive.

Before he could act himself, his companions launched into action. Yet another reason why charming the lady wouldn’t have mattered, he thought to himself, thinking that he had at least saved himself some magical energy by his hesitation. Being forced into action, he flung his arm forward, hand outstretched, he whispered “Incendio”.

OOC: Scorching Ray on the Purple Lady, Mr. Red Robe, and Sir Greatsword.

Mormy
    Keymaster

Mirilandil’s arrow sank deep into the red robed wizard’s chest. The man clutched the arrow with horror as he stumbled backwards a step. The Purple Lady’s eyes widened in shock at the sudden attack, and then turned an accusing stare at Mirilandil.

“Kill her!” she shouted in outrage. “Kill them all!”

OOC

Miri got off a free attack since she already had her bow aimed and ready but now we are on combat rounds.

I went ahead and rolled for initiative but you can post in any order so please don’t wait for everyone else ahead of you to post first. Jefaris already posted so his action will start the round.

22 Jefaris
    22 Brother Roc
    18 Sir Greatsword
    16 Purple Lady
    17 Valan
    13 Mr Red Robe
    11 Mirilandil
    10 Kobolds

Mormy
    Keymaster

Almost forgot the map! So yeah it is kind of crude and I just drew the walls and doors on the otherwise blurry blown up map of the whole town but it should provide a decent enough reference.

Fenella
    Participant

Furrowing her eyebrows and tilting her head Fenella simply said “you know my name?”.

She held tight to her two companions but felt a tremble from herself and them.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  Fenella.

Mormy
    Keymaster

“Of course,” the dragon answered. “We dragons have excellent hearing, and I am far older than most. I could hear a mouse squeak from a mile away. I can even hear battle plans being made through several feet of stone while I fly hundreds of feet in the air.” The dragon grinned with self appreciation and Fenella could see sparks of electricity dancing between its teeth.

“I have been keeping a close eye on your group since you came into town, but we don’t have much time so I will make this quick and cut to the point.”

“Rezmir has my egg. That alone is why I am here. My home is far from here in the deserts of Lergesia, and that is where I will return as soon as my egg is returned to me. While Rezmir has my egg I am forced to serve him and this army of his.”

“His camp is near, you should have no trouble finding it. Find my egg and call to me and I give you my oath that I will leave this place. If you refuse or fail in this mission then the war will begin in earnest. If you think you have seen devastation unleashed upon this town then I assure you that you have not seen anything yet. Sure I have slain a few soldiers, and burned a few rooftops – merely to keep up the appearance of cooperation – but if my egg is not returned to me soon then I will have no choice but to unleash my full wrath.”

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 145 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.