Chapter 4: Hemway in Flames

Home Forums Tera’fir Chapter 4: Hemway in Flames

This topic contains 144 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jefaris 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 145 total)
  • Author

Fenella
    Participant
    • Character Name: Fenella Elspeth
    • Class: Druid
    • Race: Wood Elf
    • Background: Outlander

“You must know then that I myself am not in charge of the group I am with.  I am just one person in a group that has no leader.  We make decisions as a whole.  And at the moment the rest of my companions seem to be held up back at the temple, battling Rezmir”, Fenella explained to the dragon.

She continued, “until I get these people safely in the Keep I cannot return to help the others.  And I am sure that my help is needed as my companions are far outnumbered.  If you let me pass I will return to help them.  After which I can explain yours and your eggs peril, if we survive.  To be in your favor is something I believe would be something each of us would desire, but I cannot speak for them”.

“We will be coming back to this tunnel to return to the Keep if you desire to speak with them yourself, I am certain they will want to hear what you have to say for themselves”, said Fenella

Shifting the weight of the two she held trying to hold her grasp on the increasing weight of each.  She looked at the dragon with a sincere look with underlying fear.

All the while she was also consumed with awe.  She was speaking to a dragon, a majestic and beautiful creature the likes of which she had never encountered.  The presence of which was sure would be a once in a lifetime event.

Mormy
    Keymaster

“It is not Rezmir your companions face, but Aquila. She is the one the kobolds refer to as the Purple Lady. Rezmir left her in charge while he remains safely in his camp tampering with my egg!” the dragon exclaimed with outrage.

“Return to them and convince them. Now I must go, but beware! Under no circumstances must any of the Cultists know of my duplicity or there will be hell to pay! Rezmir must never find out or my egg will suffer the consequences as will all of you, this town, and this entire damn island!”

Without waiting for a response the massive dragon suddenly vanished from sight, but Fenella could still feel its breath upon her face. She could feel the wind pushing against her as invisible wings beat the air, and she could hear the woosh of its passing as it flew off, invisible, into the night sky. Then the others around her began to awaken and stir.

“I am sorry, I must have…” Bishop Ellarus began with a confused look. The half elf took a look around noticing the others near him also awakening. “What happened?”

Fenella
    Participant

“That is not important right now, what is important is that we get these people into the Keep where they can rest and start to heal.  Hurry now open the grate and let’s go.  There will plenty of time to explain after the others are here with us”, Fenella said trying to calm her voice as to not betray her state.

Fenella did not wait for a response, she did not want to give anyone a chance to ask anymore questions of her.  She still was trembling from her encounter and feared what the towns folk might do if the Keep was overtaken and they were interrogated, likely one of them would give up the deal that had just been put before her.

Keeping questions at bay would be her priority until her circle is gathered and in private.

As she started her assent up the long tunnel to the safety of the Keep her encounter played over and over in her head.  The validity of it even snuck into her thoughts a few times, did this really happen, or was it magic that deceived her.  She even wondered if she is in fact leading an enemy into the safety of the Keep disguised as a wounded townsman.  Her perception is her most trusted gift, and trusting herself should not in doubt.  But this was nothing to take for granted.

As she sees the light at the top of the tunnel she stops and reassures the two she has helped this far as others step forward to help them to the top.  Turning quickly she descends the tunnel and exits the grate.

Seeing nobody along the water’s edge she knows those who stayed are still behind at the Temple and in battle.  This time it matters not that she makes noise.  Running as fast as she can the hedge comes much quicker than her last trip.

The lights from both flames and magic light up the Temple. Fenella know a fight is raging inside.

Brother Sirocco
    Participant
    • Character Name: Brother Roc
    • Class: Monk
    • Race: Human
    • Background: Hermit

The launch of attacks from his companions effectively ended the monk’s delay tactic, though that didn’t offend him in the least.  He knew there would be no reasoning or change of heart with the marauders, especially their leaders.  They had chosen this life on purpose, and he opposed them with the same free will.

Seeing the robed leader suffering the worst of the attack, Brother Roc leapt forward with the intent of downing one of their opponents quickly, thereby lessening the risk to their delay and run tactic.  Short blades appeared in his hands as he sailed forward with lightning speed, slashing at the enemy with controlled abandon.

OOC:

Attack rolls of 21, 13.  Damage of 7, 5 (if hit).

Mormy
    Keymaster

Jefaris’ Scorching Ray flew towards the robed wizard and immediately the man threw up a shimmering shield of force but Jefaris’ flaming ball of magic broke through it as if it were not even there and struck the wizard with a devastating blow leaving him clinging to life by a thread. Another bolt struck the Purple Lady and burned a hole in her immaculate purple garment. The third bolt struck the leather clad warrior but he bore the impact in stride with barely a grunt.

A slash from Brother Roc’s shortsword severed the robed wizard’s hold on life, his shimmering shield proving ineffective against the monk’s fierce attack. Roc’s second strike was easily deflected by the Purple Lady’s halberd.

Sir Greatsword stepped forward on Roc’s right and struck with his massive sword faster than Roc could deflect with his own blades. Once, then twice, the leather clad warrior’s sword slashed across the monk’s torso wounding him deeply.

With a flick of her fingers and a soft whispered prayer the Purple Lady sent a ghostly version of her own halberd toward Mirilandil. It hovered in the air before the ranger and took a swing at her but the agile ranger easily stepped out of its arc. The Purple Lady then took a swing with her real halberd at Brother Roc which the monk easily dodged.

Valan called upon his own healing power and whispered a word in his druidic language. Brother Roc felt some of the vitality that had been taken from him start to return. The druid then lumbered forward toward Sir Greatsword, his body shifting and contorting as he wild-shaped into the form of a massive 9 foot tall cave bear.

Mirilandil fired off her arrow at the greatsword wielder but her arrow missed and flew towards the kobold behind him. The short scaly creature panicked and dove for the floor with a loud piercing squeal.

The remaining kobold, knowing that it had no choice but to fight or face severe punishment later, set its focus on what it perceived as the weakest opponent, or at least less scary, and charged at Jefaris swinging its shortsword. The lizard creature’s sword landed a glancing blow across the wizard’s shoulder.

Jefaris
    Participant
    • Character Name: Jefaris
    • Class: Wizard
    • Background: Noble / Merchant

Jefaris was pleased with the effect of his spell, though he knew to cast such a destructive one again would likely harm those he considered allies. He was caught off guard by the kobold, but wasn’t surprised; magic users were often the target of choice for these gibbering monsters. Knowing that most kobolds were dumb and stupid, Jef brought to mind a simple spell that he hoped would cause the creature to think twice about pressing its attack. Pointing his finger at the attacker, he calmly said “uccidere i morti”.

OOC: Toll the Dead on the kobold.

Brother Sirocco
    Participant

It was a tenet of his order that combat required one to flow like the wind through the forest of enemies, to tug and pull at their ragged edges until all were toppled and only the wind remained.  It took all of Brother Roc’s discipline to remember that when the wind met solid and sharp resistance from the leather-clad warrior’s greatsword.  Gasping involuntarily at the pain, he eased slightly when Valan’s healing energy flowed to him.

His plan had ever been to provide the villagers time to escape back to the keep.  They need not be victorious in the temple, merely successful enough to delay the leaders of the marauders and then escape with their own lives intact.  Though wounded and now extremely wary of the big warrior, Brother Roc knew it was too early to flee just yet.

He gathered his will toward the Purple Lady and the slapped his two fists together in front of him, the blades of his short swords chiming dully in accidental contact.  Then with a sharp, short thrust forward he sent a powerful gust of wind howling straight into his opponent, seeking to drive her backwards into the wreckage of the front door.

OOC:

Use 2 ki to attack Purple Lady with Fist of Unbroken Air.  Make Strength save (DC14) or suffer 3d10 damage, be pushed back 20′ and be knocked prone.  On successful save take half damage only.

Damage roll (3d10) = 3+10+9 = 22 damage (11 on save)

If knocked prone but still alive, may spend extra ki for bonus action.  Please advise before ending round.

Mormy
    Keymaster

She will fail her save so go ahead and post your bonus action.

Fenella
    Participant

Fenella easily jumped over the hedge and approached the back door cautiously.  Not knowing what was unfolding inside she hesitated at the back door of the Temple.  She stood there waiting for a sound or sign before she entered.

Mormy
    Keymaster

The kobold died at Jefaris’ feet as his spell literally took it’s toll upon the doomed creature. Brother Roc then struck with a blast of air that sent the Purple Lady flying back into the doorway knocking her off her feet and onto her back.

Sir Greatsword took another swing at the monk but his sword but Brother Roc managed to dodge out of the way just in the nick of time. The warrior grunted in anger and focused his skill for a precision attack and swung again. The second blow landed and cut a deep gash across the monk’s shoulder and upper chest. The blade continued to sweep across to strike Valan across his face.

Digging upon his additional reserves, the leather clad warrior struck for a third time in an attempt to finish off Brother Roc using another precision attack but the monk deflected the blow. A fourth attack came impossibly fast before Brother Roc could deflect or dodge. The greatsword dug a trail of blood from his chest down to his stomach causing the monk to fall to the ground unconscious. With the momentum of that same swing the warrior brought the sword up to strike at Valan leaving a minor glancing blow across the bears shoulder.

The Purple Lady, taken back from the monk’s attack, lost some of her snide confidence and decided to call upon her own power to heal herself for most of the damage inflicted as she got back on her feet and took a step forward.

“Now don’t you wish you had accepted my offer?” she said to the unconscious figure on the floor.

Valan, seeing that Brother Roc was down, shifted back into his human form and cast a quick healing spell on Brother Roc allowing to regain consciousness and restoring a small part of his vitality.

“I am really not much of a healer, and I can’t keep this up much longer,” the druid added.

Mirilandil fired off a shot from her bow which hit the Purple Lady in the chest but missing her heart leaving her badly wounded but still in fighting shape.

The last kobold took a moment to look around in indecision as if trying to decide whether to attack or make a run for it. With the Purple Lady still in front of the doorway the creature realized that escape was not an option and instead set its gaze upon Miri.

It charged ahead with it’s short sword held high and took a mighty swing which then missed and sent the creature stumbling with an awkward attempt to regain its balance.

Mormy
    Keymaster

Initiative order:

22 Jefaris
    22 Brother Roc
    18 Sir Greatsword
    16 Purple Lady
    17 Valan
    12 Irima
    11 Mirilandil
    10 Kobold
    10 Fenella

Jefaris
    Participant

Giving the kobold barely a glance, Jefaris surveyed the battle before him. He noted that the Purple Lady was confident, but injured. Sir Greatsword, however, was pressing two of his allies. He had seen Mirilandil pressing the Purple Lady with her arrows, so he left the two women to battle each other. Stretching his hand towards Sir Greatsword, he whispered “Fulmine blu”, sending a crackling arc of blue lightning between his allies, hoping to provide a distraction so the fighters can regain their advantage.

OOC: Witch bolt @ Sir Greatsword

Brother Sirocco
    Participant

The monk was gratefully surprised to open his eyes once again, having felt the vicious cuts of the leather-clad warrior engaged with Valan.  It seemed he had no limits to the speed and number of his slashes, despite the art blocks and dodges Brother Roc countered with.  But here he was up from the floor and returned to their desperate situation.

As the bolt of electricity arced over his shoulder toward the dominating warrior he leapt at the Purple Lady, reeling from Miri’s arrow and his earlier attacks.  He slashed with both swords, hoping he had enough skill and strength behind them to remove her from the battle.  If he didn’t, there might very well be no getting up a second time…

OOC:

Two short sword attacks on Purple Lady.  To hit 22, 15.  Dam 10, 6.

If this is enough to put Purple Lady at 0 hp, I will knock her out rather than kill her (prisoner).  We have to kill the fighter, of course.

Spend 1 ki point and use Patient Defense (Dodge) against any attacker I can see (attacks at disadvantage).

Mormy
    Keymaster

Jefaris shot a beam of crackling blue energy which struck Sir Greatsword eliciting the smell of burnt flesh and charred leather.

Brother Sirocco then leapt into action with both swords flashing. The first blow nearly killed the Purple Lady, but as the monk tried to subdue the cleric with the second blow she knocked it aside with a swipe of her halberd.

“Stop the healer!” She shouted, “Kill the druid!”, but Sir Greatsword already had his sights on Valan after having twice seen the druid bring the monk back from the brink of death. After calling upon his second wind, the warrior swung his great sword in an over head downward swing that easily cut through Valan in his human form. A follow up blow cut across Valan’s chest and then continued to strike the monk. Fortunately it was only a minor scratch across the monk’s shoulder.

The Purple Lady, knowing that she would be in dire trouble if she did not stop the monk before her and the vicious arrows from the ranger, pulled out a small nail from one of the pockets inside her cloak. Her hand traced an arcane symbol before her as she muttered a soft prayer. She then pointed out Brother Roc and Mirilandil with a final word of her spell.

Brother Roc felt a sudden stiffening in his limbs as the spell began to take hold, but then failed. Mirilandil felt the same spell as it tried to take hold but she too managed to shake off the effects.

Valan shifted back into his bear form and the wounds he had sustained suddenly vanished as if they had never happened.

“We need to go, NOW!” Sir Greatsword called to the Purple Lady as a fresh new bear stood before him.

The Purple Lady failed to answer as she went down with Mirilandil’s arrow in her chest.

The kobold swung his little sword at Mirilandil which the agile half-elf managed to easily dodge aside. The kobold then turned and ran back to the other side of the temple heading toward’s the door.

OOC – Jefaris managed to identify the Purple Lady’s spell as a higher level version of Hold Person, but both Brother Roc and Miri made their saving throws.

Jefaris
    Participant

Jefaris, not letting his attention sway, sent another arc of blue lightning toward Sir Greatsword. “She already left,” he thought with a wry grin, glancing briefly at the body of the Purple Lady on the floor.

OOC: Continuing to channel Witch Bolt

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 145 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.