Chapter 4: Hemway in Flames

Home Forums Tera’fir Chapter 4: Hemway in Flames

This topic contains 144 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jefaris 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 145 total)
  • Author

Fenella
    Participant
    • Character Name: Fenella Elspeth
    • Class: Druid
    • Race: Wood Elf
    • Background: Outlander

Stroking Irima’s neck Fenella said “Miri will be right out”.  With that she turned and entered the building where the battle raged on.

Looking at Sir Greatsword Fenella cast Scorching Ray as he attempted to leave.

OOC:   Scorching Ray, 9, 13, 20

Mirilandil
    Participant
    • Character Name: Mirilandil
    • Class: Ranger
    • Race: Half-Elf

Miri heard a sound from behind her and turned her head for a swift glance, acknowledging Fenella’s safe return, I’rema close behind her.

Turning back to the fight before her, she readily drew a bead on the big warrior.  Without a pause, I’rema lept into action, sinewy fur streaking to the warrior in a pounce.

( ooc: Things are calming down here, I think.  I will be on top of things now!)

Brother Sirocco
    Participant
    • Character Name: Brother Roc
    • Class: Monk
    • Race: Human
    • Background: Hermit

Brother Roc spared a glance at the Purple Lady collapsed on the fllor.  He saw her chest rise and fall slowly and judged they could still save her for those at the keep to question.  Aching, bloodied and nearly spent from the effort, he resolutely spun and leapt to Valan’s aid, hoping that the two of them harrying the powerful warrior, along with the rest of the group’s support, would be enough to end this deadly confrontation.

OOC:

To hit 21, 7.  Damage on 1st roll is 8.

Spend 1 ki point if attacked and use Patient Defense (Dodge) against any attacker I can see (attacks at disadvantage).

Mormy
    Keymaster

Jefaris witch bolt misses but hits the side of the wall near the kobold causing the already panicked creature to bolt for the door.

Brother Roc is a bit more successful, producing another wound with his short sword as the leather clad warrior attempted to make a fighting retreat.

Sir Greatsword disengaged from Brother Roc’s attacks and headed for door. “Aquila is down! Talons, come to me!”

Irima pounced on the man but Sir Greatsword batted her aside with a sweep of his back hand.

Beyond the Sanctuary doors another group of kobold gathered inside the hedge along with another pair of cultists.

Mirilandil’s arrow struck Sir Greatsword in the shoulder causing the weakened warrior to stagger against the broken doorway, then Fenella’s fiery balls hit. Two of her bolts missed the warrior and hit the door behind him causing it to break from the final hinge that held it swaying in place. The door toppled to the ground along with the warrior as her last ray struck him in the chest.

Seeing both of their leaders down, the two cultists outside the Sanctuary hesitated

OOC – Both the Purple Lady and Sir Greatsword are alive but unconscious and dying. It will take an action to stabilize them, or that can be done with healing.

The two cultists and the kobolds just saw their best team get taken out and are not in a hurry to engage in a fight so unless someone attacks or provokes them into attacking we are out of combat rounds.

Jefaris
    Participant
    • Character Name: Jefaris
    • Class: Wizard
    • Background: Noble / Merchant

Jefaris broke his concentration against Sir Greatsword. That threat, for the moment, is neutralized. “Are they alive,” he questioned his companions. Then, upon seeing the condition of their opponents, “Those more skilled than I should make sure they are well enough to answer some questions,” he stated flatly.

Making a few swift gestures with his hand, he whispered arcane words, coming to a stop some 10 paces away from the fallen foes.

Fenella
    Participant

“Do we take them both with us or just one of them?” Fenella asks the others.  “I am hesitant to take both into the Keep as they still possess their skills and powers and can bring harm to the occupants.  Controlling one of them will be enough, trying to contain and control two for questioning may be a bit much with the damage we have already taken.  And getting them to the Keep and questioning them is just the beginning, we have another mission that is going to require all our health to accomplish.  I have much to tell you when we have time but not here.”

Fenella turns to look at each of her companions to gage their reactions to her question.  She then approaches the Purple Lady to assess her condition and bind her hands in case she wakes up.

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by  Fenella.

Mirilandil
    Participant

Miri approached cautiously, quickly kneeling to assess the warrior as the druidess did the same with the priestess.  At Femella’s announcement of another mission, the half elf raised an eyebrow but said little.  It was obvious that their current predicament left little time to discuss things openly.

“The warrior is near death,” she said matter-of-factly.  “We need to make a decision in the next few moments or both will perish.  What say you, Jef?  Brother Roc?  I, too, do not see how we can safely manage both of them.”

Brother Sirocco
    Participant
    • Character Name: Brother Roc
    • Class: Monk
    • Background: Hermit

The monk turned from where he was thanking Valan for the druid’s timely assistance during the battle with the Sir Greatsword and thought for a very brief time, his gaze swivelling from the collapsed warrior to the woman cloaked in purple, then back.  It didn’t take long.

“Save the woman.  Be sure to gag her as well.  She has magic,” he warned Fenella.   Then he turned to Miri with a stern but determined expression.

“Send the other to his just rewards.  Collect his gear, for there may be items of worth to the defence of Hemway.   Then we return to the keep.”

Almost as an afterthought, Brother Roc’s expression softened slightly.  “If that is difficult for you,” he offered to Miri, “I will do it.”  Sometimes he forgot others did not share his clear sense of purpose when difficult circumstances arose.

Jefaris
    Participant

Jefaris knelt next to the red robe adversary, the one who never had a chance to attack. Without a word he retrieved the fallen staff, feeling the magic tingle in his hand as he did so. When Brother Roc mentioned gear, the mage spoke up. “His armor and sword have magical properties. As does this,” he toed the Purple Lady’s halberd. “I sense there are more magical trinkets upon the lady. I will search her and take them as some can be activated by mere thought; gags and bound hands will not completely protect us.”

Without waiting for somebody to protest, Jefaris began his search for the various trinkets she surely had tucked away; his detect magic spell will make this easy, he mused to himself.

Mirilandil
    Participant

Miri met the monk’s gaze steadily for a moment, then looked away.  A deft hand unseated a dagger from her boot and with a quick thrust, she ended the warrior’s existence.

‘Lotesse i’ Arvandor lava lle tul a e’ ar’ seere*’, she whispered.

Turning from the monk, she moved back to keep watch on the door which Fenella had returned from, leaving the others to do the task of looting the corpses.  She suddenly found she had no stomach for it.

I’rema followed closely, coming to rest her head on Miri’s shoulder in silent comfort.

*May the heavens grant you entrance and peace.

Fenella
    Participant

“Precisely what I was thinking as well”, Fenella replied to Brother Roc with a look of acknowledgement as she tore a piece of the curtain she had used to bound the Purple Lady’s hands.

As she gagged the woman on the ground she wondered what could possibly be the payoff for the evil and destruction that was playing out all around her.  Surly nothing was as valuable as the health and well being of those that were falling victim to the mayhem.

“You don’t look so confident now as you lay there knowing that you and your cohorts were not quite as powerful as you thought you were.  However you did show us that you were not going to go down without a fight”, Fenella said as she tightened the knot securly.

Looking to Brother Roc, Jefaris, and Miri she stood and quickly and then looked around the room.  “Looks like we are done here, let’s hurry time is very short already” she said as she helped lift the Purple Lady and start for the back door.

Mormy
    Keymaster

Valan stood over the body of the fallen warrior and looked out the door of the Temple towards the cultists. He let out a deep toothy growl as the kobold’s and cultists backed away and headed down the street to join up with another group. As Valan shifted back into his human form he removed the warrior’s leather armor and rolled the great sword up inside it and left the corpse where it lay.

“You should take these, I can assist with the woman,” Valan offered as he handed Fenella the great sword wrapped up in the leather armor and took the woman and slung her over his shoulder. Then he picked up her halberd and handed it to Fenella as well.

“Hmm… her wounds have already closed,” Valan noted.

OOC – The Purple Lady is still unconscious but Valan can easily carry her over his shoulder. She isn’t too heavy by herself but between her and the chain mail she is wearing she is fairly heavy.

The Purple Lady never received any healing but it looks like her wounds have already closed and the bleeding has stopped. She still remains unconscious and obviously wounded.

The Purple Lady was wearing a silver pendant of a 5 headed dragon arranged in a circle. Each dragon has a small gem in place of its eye. A ruby, emerald, a white pearl, onyx, and a blue sapphire. The pendant itself is rather large, about 5 inches in diameter, and was one of the items Jefaris detected as magical and gathered to identify.

Also found among the Purple Lady’s possessions are:

A 3 inch tall figurine of an owl that looks like it was carved from a piece of jade. (magical)

A black pearl (magical)

gold filigree ring (magical)

The Purple Lady’s chain mail also detected as magical as does her halberd.

The leather armor Sir Greatsword was wearing is also magical as is his great sword, and the staff carried by the red robed figure.

Jefaris
    Participant

Jefaris had noted that Purple Lady’s wounds were healing on their own during his examination. Apparently he did not remove those magical trinkets quick enough, he thought to himself. Well, at least that deed is done and she can no longer make use of them. So he hoped, at least.

Getting to his feet, Jefaris indicated which items were magical in nature to his companions – the weapons, the armor, and the small array of baubles and trinkets. “I will identify them when we have a moment of peace. But from the sound of it,” nodding at Fenella to acknowledge her previous statement, “that moment may be far at hand. Let us pull back to the keep. We have our own wounds to bind.”

Mormy
    Keymaster

The way back to the keep is clear so you can return and start furthering your own plans.

Unless she is receives magical healing it will be at least another hour before the Purple Lady regains consciousness on her own.

Meanwhile the Keep is attacked twice by the dragon. The first time she attacks she comes in with the moon behind her and she is seen in plenty of time for the defenders to reach cover before her lightning sweeps along the parapets. However one guard panics and instead of ducking behind the wall he runs into it hard enough to cause him to stagger and fall backwards just as the lightning sweeps over the top of him. He dies just before he can be brought inside to a healer.

The dragon makes a second sweep about 10 minutes later but this time her decent is slower and everyone gets to cover in time and no one is injured.

Mirilandil
    Participant

Staying to the rear, Miri followed closely as the group made their way back.  Although she did not like walls as a rule, it was good to feel a small sense of safety as they slipped between the gates and entered the keep once more.

Once within the walls, Miri set about offering help where it was needed the most, but never far from her small group.  I’rema kept close, tail twitching irritably at the noise and smell of man in such tight quarters.

And all the while, Miri kept remembering that Valan only had a certain amount of time before things would get very bad for him…

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 145 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.