Chapter 4: Hemway in Flames

Home Forums Tera’fir Chapter 4: Hemway in Flames

This topic contains 144 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jefaris 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 145 total)
  • Author

Fenella
    Participant
    • Character Name: Fenella Elspeth
    • Class: Druid
    • Race: Wood Elf
    • Background: Outlander

OOC: I’ll take the Owl figurine, thank you.

IC:  “What is it that Rizmir has that compels you?”  (waits for a response)

“How long have you been in cahoots with Rizmir?” (waits for a response)

“How does Rizmir plan on acquiring an egg from a dragon?” Fenella continues “I would think that would be near impossible even if Rizmir and a dragon were to be allies.  Dragons are fiercely protective of their young and cleaver beyond that of most other beings.” (waits for a response)

Mormy
    Keymaster

“Rezmir was chosen as Wyrmspeaker so I am compelled to obey,” Aquila answered.

“I am not in cahoots with Rezmir. He is my master, and I am his servant. Being in cahoots would imply that I am a willing participant in his planning and an equal partner. This I am not. I obey, or I die. Or I am branded a traitor or a rebel, which would amount to the same thing. Soon you will be forced to accept the same fate, unless we work together, then maybe we have a chance.”

“Rezmir has already acquired several eggs and has already begun experimenting on them. He plans to acquire many more. He is quite resourceful and has many followers and servants and slaves working for him. Some are like you that he has created and ‘compelled’ to obey him without question. Others he simply exploits due to their devotion to the Cult of the Dragon and our Queen.”

Fenella
    Participant

OCC: 20 insight

IC: “What is a Wyrmspeaker?” asked Fenella

“I believe you are telling us the truth as you want us to believe it.  I also believe you are not being as forthcoming as you want us to believe you are as well”, she says to the Purple Lady.

“I would also like to know what it is that Rezmir is trying to accomplish by destroying this town and its people” Fenella continues.

“And  where is it that this Aspet now called Rezmir has these dragons eggs that he is experimenting on.  Is it someplace that we can find and access?  Or is it a heavily guarded and inaccessible place”, Fenella ask the Purple Lady.  She then turns to her companions and says to them “I think it might be for the best for everyone if we try to find these eggs and reclaim them or destroy them if it is to late to save them.  What do you think?” she ask.

Mormy
    Keymaster

“The Wyrmspeakers are the leaders of the Cult. There is one for each aspect,” Aquila answered. “The Dragon has five heads.”

“Rezmir is the Black Wyrmspeaker, and is one of the most powerful second only to Severin. It was Rezmir however who has spearheaded this latest quest to control the dragons. This blasphemy will not go unchallenged. I will aid you in that task if you allow me.”

“You wish me to be more forthcoming. I will tell you everything I know, including Rezmir’s plans and how to find him, but you must free me from this place.”

“I lead the attack on this town under Rezmir’s orders. It was a regretful waste of life but Rezmir insisted that it was necessary to gather enough treasure to fund his research and to appease the Queen. Elsewhere other armies are performing the same task, all to amass a treasure hoard.”

“Free me and I will take you North to Rezmir’s camp. He will be heavily guarded and surrounded by loyalists but I can disguise you as Cultists and lead you right to him. No one will stop you with me by your side. Together we can destroy him and you can reclaim these eggs to do with as you please.”

“We must act soon however, for soon the camp will be on the move, and Rezmir will be off to spearhead the next leg of his plan.”

Fenella
    Participant

Fenella looks to the others to see how they are reacting to the words she has just heard.

As she waits for the others to ask their questions Fenella runs through the conversation she had with the dragon.  Discernment is most crucial now.

She is happy to be a part of this group, knowing that they will look out for one another in the events that are at hand.

Brother Sirocco
    Participant
    • Character Name: Brother Roc
    • Class: Monk
    • Race: Human
    • Background: Hermit

“I don’t think you answered the question of compulsion very clearly,” the monk cut in sternly.  His eyes stared at the woman shrewdly, full of distrust.  “Exactly what prevents you from defying Rezmir?  Does he hold mystical or divine powers to force compliance, or is it merely your unwillingness to leave the Cult that leaves you in his thrall?”

“And why would any of his power extend to these folk?” he gestured to the stalwart companions that had helped him stem the invasion of Hemway.

Mormy
    Keymaster

“I have answered you Monk, it is your understanding that has not been very clear; but I will enlighten you further,” Aquila answered.

“It is not magic that binds me to Rezmir’s will but the threat of what will come after. No one simply decides to leave the Cult, and certainly not one such as I who has been with them since I was a child. Should I leave I would be found, should I die or take my own life and it be known that I was a traitor I would be risen up again. My only chance is to see Rezmir dead.”

“As for your companions, Rezmir’s power extends to them through their brands that was given to them upon their creation. Only through Rezmir’s death will you be able to remove those bonds to regain your free will.”

Fenella
    Participant

“Are you like us?” Fenella asked.

Momentarily letting her defences down slightly Fenella wonders if ever she could be compelled to do the things she has just witnessed.  A fear grips her, then she wonders if this is a trick of the Aquila’s.  Is this what she wants, her to feel fear.

Quickly Fenella pulls herself from her thoughts.  Her defences and alertness strong, she focuses on not only the words Aquila has said but the body language that could betray her.

“I want to see your arm”, Fenella says.

Mirilandil
    Participant
    • Character Name: Mirilandil
    • Class: Ranger
    • Race: Half-Elf

Miri listened quietly, considering the woman’s words.  Aquila was quite adept at manipulating the situation, and although that angered her, the ranger had to admit that she had skill.

“What can you say that will convince us you are not only hand delivering us to your ‘master’?  Since you failed to conquer us by force, perhaps this is your back up plan.”  She frowned.  “How touching you speak of ‘regret for wasted lives’, yet it didn’t really seem to affect you that much when we first met.”

Miri nodded in agreement with Fenella, regarding Aquila again.  “Yes, your arm…”

(ooc) Miri is quite happy to take the armor from sir greatsword.  Of course, she will want to clean it a bit… 😉 — it’s the nurse in me.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by  Mirilandil.

Mormy
    Keymaster

“I have no brand,” Aquila said as she lifted her sleeve to show her bare shoulder. “I am not like you. I was not created by Rezmir. I was born into this life, or nearly so. I was a child when my parents died and I was raised by the Cult.

“There is nothing that I can say that will convince you of any of this. Words are all that I have left, so you must discern the truth for yourself. But know this; our fates are now intertwined. We will fail or succeed together. We either defeat Rezmir or we are all doomed. Even should I escape I can not return a failure, and if I should run I would suffer an even worse fate eventually. My only hope – and yours – lies with defeating Rezmir. You can not do so without my help, nor can I do so without yours.”

Brother Sirocco
    Participant

“That is a better answer,” the monk allowed, when Aquila explained further.  “And is what I expected, a combination of both.”  He sniffed a little, as though in disdain for her lack of will.  If magic did not force you to stay, you were the forger of your own chains.  “Perhaps someday you will see the Wisdom in the Winds, and free yourself of this slavery.”

The question of brands struck Brother Roc as odd, but he did not otherwise comment on it.  In the end he struck to what he saw as the heart of the matter.  “Stopping Rezmir is important, on that I will agree.  But what then?  Do you proposed to return to the fold?  Or head off alone?  The dragon has five heads, I believe you said.”

Mirilandil
    Participant

“I do not think we have much choice in this matter,” Miri sighed, carefully watching this woman for whom she had no trust.  “We have to follow through with her, to find the man we all know holds the answers we so desperately seek.”

Brother Sirocco
    Participant

“You always have a choice,” Brother Roc admonished Miri, though gently.  He looked to the group as a whole as he continued.  “The resulting paths of some just seem more buffeted by the Winds than others.  I am not certain that in this case the calm path is the right path.”

He looked back at Aquila, waiting for her to respond to question of what lay beyond Rezmir.  Five heads less one still meant four leaders in charge of the Order, and perhaps an opening for an eager up-and-comer.  He was not in favour of helping the Purple Lady cleanse the dragon lovers of Rezmir, only to let a slightly less aggressive Order stabilize itself for the foreseeable future.

Mormy
    Keymaster

“The others are of no consequence. Stop Rezmir and you will halt the threat. The others lack the same ambition to propel the Cult with the same driving force that Rezmir brings. With Rezmir deposed I will be free, as will you. Where I should go from there I do not know. I will wander until I find the path that suits me, but I will be free of the Cult and so will you,” Aquila replied.

Mirilandil
    Participant

Miri rested a hand on the pommel of her sword, casually, almost seeming reflexively.  She took a step towards the woman, and her eyes suddenly narrowed.

“Are you one of the dragon’s heads as well?”

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 145 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.